Monday, August 31, 2015

Returning to the scene of the crime: Mary, Patti and a parade of Presidents





Dang. I had every intention of writing every day while we were here but there just aren’t enough hours in the day when you’re in New Orleans.

We didn’t catch any of the Presidents’ speeches. We didn’t go by the Convention Center and relive our time there. We didn’t get angry. We rarely got sad. We basically decided to just talk to people and hear what they had to say.

Rather than try to write about all the wonderful folks we’ve met - folks who’ve shared their stories, shared tears and laughs, danced with us and gave us hugs – I’m just going to pass on their wild words of wisdom. I can't even remember them all, and these are just a small sampling, but these snippets capture a small slice of NOLA life:

“I’ve paid my ticket now I’m livin’ my life,” nice older man at Oakland airport struggling to put his shoes back on.

Rory (wearing a NASA t-shirt), bar back at 13 on Frenchman St. Rory came to New Orleans from Boston three months ago after attending his sister’s graduation from Tulane and just stayed: “People are stupid….and then, there’s space!” “BillCosbywhy?” One word.

The friendly fellow at Hunter’s Park who lost his four dogs in the flood,
“Get me a Budweiser.”

Mr. St. Claire, Vietnam vet, "I'm trawlin' for a bite." His zipper was down.

Beaming father at anniversary gathering in Congo Square telling the crowd that he is always proud of his daughter (the star of her high school basketball team) but he was particularly proud earlier in the day when she politely refused to have her picture taken with George W. Bush. Right on, little lady!!

“We made it out of the water,” Mardi Gras Indian at Tipitina's.

Jonathan, our vampire tour guide, “I have thousands of years of experience to share with you.”

Car full of rowdy frat boys driving down Royal St., “Y’all are lesbians!”

“Mary, what IS it?” said I when the hugest bug I’ve ever heard landed in my hair in the bayou at Jean Lafitte National Park.

“It’s hard work, but it’s honest work,” young man tap dancing on Decatur St.

Joseph at Checkpoint Charlies, "Y'all wanna meet my friends?'

Elderly gent (80+) on Bourbon St., “The night I peed my pants was the best night of my life!”

“Let’s have dinner next time you’re in town,” said Jenna who gave us her mini gold glittered cowboy hat. Jenna was a law student in New Orleans in 2005 and rode out Katrina at Charity hospital comforting the sick and elderly. Jenna now practices – maritime law!!! Crazy!

And to the sweet server at Café du Monde who rushed and got us our iced coffees ahead of several other people when Mary looked like she might pass out and to the wonderful server at Irene’s Cuisine who graciously showed us around the place even though they were about to close. ALL these folks are the true spirit of this town and what keeps me coming back for more.

To my wonderful husband, Mark, who understands. To Kate Kate Millosovich Ruggierowho wasn't able to join us…and last, but no way least, to Mary Millosovich…cuz we always make it out of the water!

Until next time...






No comments:

Post a Comment